Sunday, September 19, 2010

Module Two Response

Response made in reference to the dialogue between Kerr, Downes, and Kapp.

Wow! I feel completely enlightened! As demonstrated, I think conversations about learning theories can go and will go round and round. to me, it varies based on the generation of students. Not to say that each generation of students learn the same exact way, but I have seen commonalities. Unfortunately, I think students have been molded to demonstrate their learning in a different way than they acquire their knowledge. I do see students desiring more of an understanding of content (that might be bias as I teach AP) but the way they are tested aligns with the behaviorist perspective. I don't think Downes was correct in saying that behaviorism has been abandoned. I think it is very much rooted in the system and as an educator, we have to prepare our students for being successful on standardized exams. This translates to a classroom exam that is structured similar to a standardized one or in fact has to be the same for each student taking that class in the school (speaking from experience). As a direct consequence, the implementation of cognitive theory type activities are weeded out of the classroom due to lack of time. This is a horrible thing!! No one learns in just one way; therefore forms of evaluation or explanation of student learning doesn't make sense to focus on one ___ism as Kerr points out. A major overhaul does need to take place. I am not saying at all that behaviorists techniques are bad as I think they can be very sufficient. The inherent problem is not taking a universal approach to assessment that matches the ___isms of education as to enforce what should be happening in the classroom. I personally find schema theory of learning valid (this mainly comes from my psych background). This method of learning requires the processes of assimilation and accommodation that are required for learning. A brief introduction to this theory can be found here. In addition, in reference to my assignment for this week I mentioned the need to train teachers based on the schema approach to improve student literacy. I found this research pretty interesting. We are having a HUGE push for literacy at our school. The main problem I witness is the fact that students have trouble interpreting questions. Simple memories of schematic organizations could help improve this weakness.

3 comments:

  1. Erin,

    You made an interesting point about generational changes in students, so my question is do you think that 21st students are getting smarter as a result of innovations or are they barely hanging on with regards to learning content which important knowledge? Educational theorist say move away from behavioral outcomes, but like you I believe that class time does not allow time for instructional designs which develop problem solving skills and deep thought processing of information. So, where should instruction go from here if the _isms are designed to promote best practices for developing good instructional strategies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With regards to technology, no actually. I have found myself overestimating the technology skills I think my students possess. As far as general intelligence, in psychology we discuss something called the Flynn effect. It has been contended that with each generation the IQ score rises 3 points. But to be honest, I don't think it is because people can processes things any better than before, I just think there is more exposure occurring. So to be honest, I'm not sure =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make an excellent point about generational differences, Erin. I wonder if that has to do with the expectations of each generation? If it is expectations that differ instead of true learning style differences, then there is hope that new theories can be utilized regardless of generation, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete